One of the important events in the history of the Hospital was that on September 27, 1895, the Deed to St. Joseph Hospital of Reading, Pennsylvania was given to the Sisters of St. Francis for the cost of $1.00 by the Most Rev. Patrick J. Ryan, Archbishop of Philadelphia, with the stipulation, “IN TRUST, nevertheless, for only the proper use, benefit and behoof of St. Joseph Hospital of Reading, Pennsylvania, forever. Or if circumstances should render it inexpedient that a Hospital should continue in locality for such other religious or charitable purposes as shall be determined by the Catholic Ordinary of the Diocese.” In 1897, St. Joseph Hospital was incorporated in the State of Pennsylvania. The purpose of this Corporation was to maintain and manage a Hospital for the reception, care, medical and surgical treatment of the sick and injured. The Articles of Incorporation stated that it was to be managed by a Board of Trustees consisting of twelve lay members.