1917

In this year, the formation of the “Ladies Auxiliary” was begun. Long years ago, there had been an Auxiliary, the President of which was Mrs. Joseph Kremp, aunt of Miss Mary Heizmann of the well-known Heizmann family of Fifth Street. This first Auxiliary flourished for a few years and then gradually ceased to function. Years later, it became apparent to the women of Reading that it would be a helpful gesture to revitalize the former Auxiliary and in 1917, what was called the Main Auxiliary, was organized. More later about these wonderful women under the Section “Auxiliaries.”

Return to Full Timeline