1946

Sister M. Joanilla, who succeeded Sister M. Laurencita as Director of the School of Nursing, was pleased to hear that there were plans for an expansion to the Nurses’ Residence. Sister reported that although entrance for the Fall Class was closed, there were many applicants on file for future classes of young women desirous of entering the field of Nursing.

At the September 1946 meeting of the Board of Trustees, it was definitely decided to follow the Master Plan and build a wing to the Nurses’ Residence. Though the School of Nursing at St. Joseph Hospital had the greatest number of nurses in the area, it lacked space not only in housing, but in facilities to properly educate the young women who came to study Nursing.

Return to Full Timeline