In July, 1950, Doctor Robert R. Impink, on behalf of the Planning and building Committee, wrote to several firms of architects requesting them to make a survey of our needs for a nurses’ residence and a hospital; among these was the firm of Schmidt, Garden and Erikson. This firm sent a representative to make the survey, and then submitted memoranda several times. The Board of Trustees, the Medical Staff and the Administration seemed satisfied with their services, and in August, a contract was submitted by the firm of Schmidt, Garden and Erikson of Chicago.
At the October meeting of the Board of Trustees, the selection of the Chicago firm was approved. The earlier plan to build on Thirteenth Street was abandoned and Twelfth Street was selected for the site of the new Wing of the Hospital. The Officials of the sisters of St. Francis authorized the Building Committee to sign the contract with Schmidt, Garden and Erikson and to proceed with studies and plan for an addition the Nurses’ Residence.