1956

The Board approved a plan to serve Kosher food to Jewish patient who would desire it. This service was the first to be offered by the hospitals of Berks County. St. Joseph Hospital was happy to cooperate with the Jewish Community Council, who made the request, and would work on the project. Sister St. Robert received letters of congratulations not only from people of Reading, but from people in many other states, even from other countries, for initiating this service.

April 9th! Surveyors arrived and spent hours deciding where to start excavating and on April 10th, the monster shovels took their first “bite” out of the “Hill.”

A happy ending to the year 1956 was the welcome news that the School of Nursing of St. Joseph Hospital had received full accreditation by the National League for Nursing on December 31. A great honor, indeed, but accomplished over years of steady recognition by the accrediting agency of its approval of the curriculum of the school and its teaching methods.

Return to Full Timeline