1958

The cornerstone was blessed on March 22, 1958. The Most Reverend Bishop J. Carroll McCormick, Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia, placed the cornerstone in position after the invocation given by the Hospital Chaplain, Reverend John Gallagher. Bishop McCormick put the first trowel of mortar on and then graciously handed the trowel to Sister St. Robert, Administrator, saying with a smile, “Your turn, Sister.”

In 1958, fifty-two students were enrolled, nine of whom were from Reading and five from other parts of Berks County. Since the National Accreditation of the School in 1956, enrollment had been increasing.

The various departments of the latest addition to the hospital were now functioning with their usual efficiency. One of the most important departments was the main kitchen with all its modern electrical equipment. Carefully planned, it was truly beautiful as well as functional. The great shining pots and pans, and the long ranges, the latter was a “far cry” from the old wood-burning stove of the kitchen of 1873.

Return to Full Timeline