In 2007, St. Joseph Regional Health Network donated the original hospital at 12th & Walnut Streets to the Reading School District, continuing the site’s legacy of service to the community. During construction of the Reading Intermediate High School, two time capsules were discovered and returned to St. Joe’s.
The older time capsule, a simple Mason jar, was located in the 1882 cornerstone of the first newly constructed hospital building completed in 1884. The façade of this building, facing Walnut Street, has been incorporated into the new school building. The more recent time capsule, made of copper, was found in the cornerstone of the 1958 hospital addition facing 12th Street.
In observance of St. Joe’s 137th Anniversary, on Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 4:30 p.m., items from these two time capsules will be added to a new time capsule, a blue aluminum cylinder, to be installed in the base of the former 12th & Walnut Chapel Cross, now located in the courtyard on the Bern Campus. Additionally, items of interest from our recent history will be added to a second time capsule to be installed in the base of the Cross.
On display in this case are items representing the 1882, 1958 and 2010 time capsules. It is our intention that these two new time capsules will be opened during the celebration of St. Joseph Medical Center’s 250th Anniversary on August 22, 2123.
…a legacy of care and compassion.
- Copy of a Latin Document and one English translation
- One “A Very Worthy Charity” Report of the Medical Board to the Management of St. Joseph’s Hospital 1882
- Three medals
- One Reading Eagle fragment
- Four holy cards – St. Clare, Pieta, St. Joseph, Mary
- One First class relic – locket – St. Clare of Assisi
- One First class relic – locket – St. Francis of Assisi
- One First class relic – locket – St. Maria Domenica Mazzarello
- One First class relic – locket – St. Irenaeus
- One First class relic – locket – St. Teresa of Avila
- One Certificates of Authenticity – St. Clare
- One Certificates of Authenticity – St. Francis
- One Certificate of Authenticity – St. Maria
- One Certificate of Authenticity – St. Irenaeus
- One Certificate of Authenticity – St. Teresa
- One Second class relic- crucifix – Pope Pius V
- Eight rosaries
- One rosary with paper instructions and plastic pouch
- One small crucifix – made in France – souvenir of Knock, Ireland
- One small crucifix – The Jesuit Martyr-Saints of North America
- One Red Scapular of the Passion
- One Coin purse with One silver dollar certificate Series 1935 E, one silver dollar 1925, one half dollar 1957, one quarter 1957, one dime 1957, one nickel 1957, one penny 1957
- One Book “Legacy of Our Holy Father St. Francis to his Children of the III Order, October 4, 1905
- One Book “Sisters of St. Francis Convent of Our Lady of Angels, Motherhouse and Novitiate, Glen Riddle, Delaware Co. Pennsylvania 1855-1950
- One Issue “Stethoscope” January 1958
- Three holy cards – one signed by Pope Pius IX, St. Francis postcard, Bishop Neumann
- One Invitation to the Blessing of the Cornerstone, Saturday, March 22, 1958
- One Program to the Blessing of the Cornerstone, Saturday, March 22, 1958
- Three photos of the Blessing of the Cornerstone (not originally contained in the 1958 capsule)
- One List Board of Trustees 1958
- One List Active Medical Staff 1958
- One List Persons Employed 1958
- One List School of Nursing Students 1958
- One List Sisters stationed at the Hospital 1958
- One List The Current Governing Body of our Religious Community 1958
- One List The Building Committee 1958
- One List The Residents and Interns
- One Photo of Mother Francis Bachman, founder of the III Order of St. Francis, donated by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia
- One Photo of the 12th & Walnut corner building of the former St. Joseph Medical Center. This photo had often been used as the definitive photo angle of the hospital in public relations.
- One Letter from John R. Morahan, President and CEO, St. Joseph Regional Health Network (SJRHN) to those who will follow us and open this time capsule.
- One Current Overview of SJRHN with historical content
- One Issue SJH 120th Anniversary Visions
- One Invitation for the 135th Anniversary of SJMC
- One Program for the 135th Anniversary of SJMC
- One Employee pin for the 135th Anniversary of SJMC
- One St. Joseph School of Nursing pin
- One Reading Elks Lodge No. 115 pin – the Elks have been generous benefactors of Pediatric care both at St. Joe’s Downtown and Bern Campuses
- One Reading Eagle Moving Day Article Reprint Page 1
- One Reading Eagle Moving Day Article Reprint Page 2
- One Reading Eagle Moving Day Article Reprint Page B1
- One Reading Eagle Return of the Cross Article Reprint
- One Stained glass window ornament depicting St. Francis and Insert Card – a Series of Nine Ornaments depicting the Stained Glass Windows of SJMC – currently, nine of the sixteen stained glass windows crafted in Innsbruck, Austria in the 1890’s have been moved to the Bern Campus from their original location in the Chapel at 12th & Walnuts Streets. The remaining windows are in storage a will some day be restored and returned to the Medical Center. The Ornament project is a fundraiser of the SJMC Auxiliary.
- One San Damiano cross and brochure
- Two USB flash drives containing photos of the 12th & Walnut Citadel Project and Tour, Cross Event – Mark Metals, Employee Campaign Project, Historic photos, New Hospital Construction, Grand Opening, Bern Campus, Downtown Campus, Satellites, Nursing and SON, Patient Care plus County of Berks Data Book Chapters 1 and 2
- One USB technical description
- One Berks Economic Partnership 2009 annual report
- SJMC Community Benefits Reports from 2007 and 2009