Immediate Volunteer needs
Receptionists: Individuals are needed in several areas to greet and direct patients. Duties vary by area – some have very minimal walking and no computer work, and others require escorting patients and some computer and phone skills. We are looking for individuals to do one or two four-hour shifts a week, Monday through Friday.
Trainers: Individuals to assume once a week volunteer training for a particular area. The two current areas of need are:
Patient Service training: Our top priority is for a trainer to teach new volunteers to provide patient service on the inpatient units in order to improve patient experience and patient satisfaction. Patient Service volunteers spend time with each patient, addressing comfort needs and serving as a liaison between patients and nursing staff to provide non-clinical duties within their job description.
Reception/Clerical Trainer: This individual would train all new volunteers on the various receptionist / information desk roles within the main hospital.
Volunteers at Penn State Health St. Joseph are compassionate helpers who donate their time and skills to support our staff, physicians, our patients and their families. They are dedicated people who approach their volunteer roles with the same commitment to excellence as our professional staff.
Volunteering is a way to contribute to the community, feel a sense of accomplishment, learn new skills, meet new people and learn more about relevant healthcare issues. We do our best to match the skills and talents of each new volunteer to the needs of the medical center.
Student volunteers contact us for a variety of reasons, including high school graduation requirements, college requirements, a desire to give back, or a desire to check out the medical field before committing to healthcare as a career.
Whether you are an adult searching for fulfilling volunteer work, or a high school or college student looking for healthcare experience, we are continually expanding our volunteer opportunities to meet the needs of our patients and our volunteers.
Volunteer Basic Requirements
- Commitment to volunteer on a weekly basis.
- At least 15 years of age
- Able to commit to 50 hours in a twelve month period
- Comply with required immunizations and annual flu vaccine
- Criminal, Child Abuse and FBI clearances
Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in. ~ Unknown
General Volunteer Opportunities
- Patient Services
- Book Cart
- Emergency Department patient support
- Hand-crafted items for patients: homemade quilts, baby hats, prayer shawls
High School Interns
If you have started the application process for a 2020 – 2021 high school internship for Penn State Health St. Joseph, please submit the following information for your application packet to Barb Moyer, firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 1, at 5 pm.
- Application – may be completed in the link below
- Parental Consent – may be completed in the link below
- Student Agreement – may be completed in the link below
- Essay – may be submitted directly by email, or attached to an email
- Two letters of reference – please forward by email, or scan
- Transcript – may be forwarded by email or scanned attachment
- Student ID – may be scanned and forwarded, or may be obtained at a later date
2500 Bernville Road (RT. 183)
Reading, PA 19605