1955 was the 100th Anniversary of the Philadelphia Foundation of the Sisters of St. Francis of which the Sisters of St. Joseph Hospital are members. This branch of the Franciscan Order was founded by Mother Francis Beckman of Philadelphia in 1955, under the guidance of the Venerable Bishop John Nepomocene Newmann, C.S.S.R., fourth Bishop of Philadelphia. The Order now numbered about 1600 Sisters with its members working in thirteen States of America, Ireland and Puerto Rico. The Sisters conducted 86 Elementary Schools, 23 High Schools and 13 Hospitals. Included in the Apostolate was work with Indian and Negro Missions, together with Catechetical work in rural areas. There are two Novitiates, on e in Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania and the other one in Portland, Oregon. Celebration of the Centenary was held at the Mother House with appropriate solemnity – His Excellency, Auxiliary Bishop J. Carroll McCormick offered the Mass, with His Excellency Archbishop John F. O’Hara presiding. Sisters from the other two Franciscan branches and Sisters of other Communities and Priests of parishes served by our Sisters took part in the celebration. Mother Mary Leandro was Reverend Mother General of the Order at that time.
A beautiful statue of St. Francis was placed in the chapel to commemorate the Franciscan year.